Are you interested in research or graduate school?
Welcome to the Lehman on the RISE Program
We are here to help. Please fill out our contact form if you have any questions about the program, how to get started or anything else you'd like to know about RISE.
A RISE Faculty Coordinator at our home campus will get back to you as soon as possible! Thank you.
Lehman College is the only senior college of the City University of New York (CUNY) in the Bronx and serves as an educatonal and cultural center for the Bronx Community. We are devoted to helping our STEM students achieve their greatest potential and the departments of Chemistry and Biology are proud to create a strong undergradaute research culture on campus. The goal of the Lehman on the RISE program is to prepare underrepresented minority and/or low income students to pursue successful careers in the Biomedical Research Sciences.
We achieve this by providing professional development, research experience and both financial and academic support to our RISE Scholars for two years while they prepare for Graduate School or PhD programs in fields related to Biomedical research. In addition, the program provides funds to travel to two academic conferences per year and ongoing help with Summer REU and Graduate School applications.
What will the Lehman on the RISE program do for you?
As a Lehman on the RISE Scholar you will be matched with a faculty advisor in either the Chemistry or Biology departments to participate in original research. Over the course of 2 years you will receive an annual stipend of up to 16K/year and become engaged with a research-oriented and supportive group of students headed for graduate school.
As a Lehman on the RISE scholar you will:
1. Earn a Stipend of up to 16K/year
2. Engage in orginal research for up to 20 hrs per week during the academic year
3. Register for NSS200 (1-credit, 2-hour course exclusively for RISE Scholars) every semester during your tenure
4. Participate in monthly Journal Club meetings
5. Attend at least one fully funded National Conference per year
6. Participate in Professional Development workshops
7. Receive academic support with your coursework
8. Receive help and support with REU and Graduate School applications.